What is up, Dear Readers? Hope all is well in your hearths. We're doing well! Nearly finished with these shoes that we started working on last summer. A whole year! Art takes time!
Four unclued entries that turn out to be HENRIK IBSEN in 1A and three of his plays:
- 10D) THE WILD DUCK
- 11D) A DOLL'S HOUSE
- 38A) HEDDA GABLER
Henrik Ibsen. Norwegian, right?
… looks it up …
Yah, Norwegian. It's him and it's Hall of the Mountain King composer who are the major Norway guys that come up on Jeopardy! over and over. Grieg. Ibsen and Grieg.
Here's Henrik looking very writerly and Norwegian:
In looking up Henrik Ibsen for this post, we found many Ibsen quotes laid out Instagram photo‑quote style that didn't strike us as particularly, uh, great. Like thissa one:
But maybe that's just us? And maybe these supposed quotes are all apocryphal. Maybe A Doll's House is a focking gripping masterwork.
For the record, this blog is our masterwork!! This, and also the shoes.
- 12A) Underworld gal making adjustment to teach English (6)
adjustment to TEACH (English = E) = HECATE
- 15A) Time being what it is: name long ago (5)
(name = N) (long ago = ONCE) = NONCE
- 16A) I'm in the habit, or I'm in with half, please (6)
I'M in (with = W) (half PLEASE = PLE) = WIMPLE
- 20A) Camper taken in by male elements in the company of superheroes (6)
(Camper = RV) taken in by MALE elements = MARVEL
- 21A) One who deserves to be left out! (4)
(left = L) OUT = LOUT
- 22A) Misdirections behind some stock (3,6)
(behind = BUM) (stock = STEERS) = BUM STEERS
- 26A) That man needs a place, like for showing great range (9)
(That man = HIM) A (place = LAY) (like = AS) = HIMALAYAS
- 28A) It's not quite hip to sing like a bird (3)
It's not quite (hip = COOL) = COO
- 32A) Half of dance requires a final character: a little Bono (4)
Half of (dance = CHACHA) requires a (final character = Z) = CHAZ
- 33A) Ruffian in retrospect is mostly innocent (4)
(Ruffian in retrospect = NAIFFUR) is mostly = NAIF
- 35A) Toy bird (4)
KITE (double syn)
- 36A) On we spoke—oh, it's so boring! (5)
(On we) * homophone = ENNUI
- 1D) Scoundrel with a revolver—don't get me started! (4)
(revolver = WHEEL) don't get me started = HEEL
“Don't even get me started. Don't even get me started.” — Jeannie Darcy
- 6D) Mind if I left some chaff (4)
(Mind = BRAIN) if I left = BRAN
- 8D) English FCC fees never obscure high spirits (13)
(English = E) FCC FEES NEVER obscure = EFFERVESENCE
- 9D) “Born to Die” Republican leaves more wanting (7)
(born = NEE) to DIE (Republican = R) = NEEDIER
- 14D) Seen as typical Beat poet, I'm writing one last letter at the end (10)
(Beat POET IM = EPITOM) writing (one = I) (last letter = ZED) = EPITOMIZED
- 34D) Napkin put up or down, doesn't matter (3)
BIB (pun or whatever)
- 10A) Keyboard key used in telex transmission that can be sent (8)
(Keyboard key = TAB) used in TELEX = TEXTABLE
Y didn't you text me back?
My response isnt textable
We brought this up to Notorious Marcel who said, “you could use ‘textable’ to describe a person. Like, ‘she's totally textable.’”
“You mean like ‘fuckable’? Can you name one other example? Like what, ‘phonable’? ‘She's totally phonable.’ … ‘talkable’ … ”
“Honestly, ‘fuckable’ is the only one,” said Notorious Marcel, gratifyingly conceding.
- 13A) Got sick, having been served a meal at the counter? (6)
(served a mean = FED) at the (counter = BAR) = BARFED
- 17A) Article removed from imperial menace (7)
(Article = A) removed from IMPERIAL = IMPERIL
- 19A) Where some Frenchmen locate tailored inseam (6)
tailored INSEAM = LA MIEN
- 23A) Giving positions around piano dishonors arrangement (10)
(piano = P) DISHONORS arrangement = DONORSHIPS
- 29A) Partially enunciate hooks in the body (4)
Partially enUNCIate = UNCI
Reminds us of Uncas from Last of the Mohicans. If memory serves, Uncas isn't the last Mohican, he's the son of the last Mohican. The second-to-last Mohican. And Daniel Day-Lewis is not the last Mohican. He's just a white guy. This isn't very fun trivia. But it's true.
Anyway but so UNCI definitely doesn't remind us of anything having to do with human anatomy.
- 30A) What is a flowering of youth? That ____! (3)
- 34A) Moore and Craig, e.g., in ties (5)
BONDS (double syn.)
Witness: this amazing chart of James Bonds from the genius Sean Tejaratchi:
- 37A) Oddly I schemed for a cold drink (4)
Oddly I sChEmEd = ICEE
- 2D) Run out of a church to call your old girlfriend? (13)
call your old girlfriends = EXCOMMUNICATE
“Ok we're not doing this again,” she said. Like, on a dime the whole energy of the call changed. Just like, wham!
And you played defensively dumb, like, “what? I didn't even mean, what? Can't I just be nice?” But you weren't just being nice. She knew it, your boner knew it. The NSA agent reviewing the call metadata knew it. We all knew it. So put down the phone, go back to church, and pew down.
- 3D) Hit over the head by a kid's toy? That's foolish (13)
(Hit over the head = BRAINED) by a (kid's toy = RATTLE) = RATTLEBRAINED
- 4D) One live cross horny North African (4)
I (live = BE) (cross = X) = IBEX
- 7D) Re-crosses out origin of bad spelling (9)
RE-CROSSES out = SORCERESS
- 18D) Two Irishmen make the sound of soft footsteps (3-3)
Two Irishmen = PAT PAT
- 24D) Humiliation in college almost has pizzazz (6)
(almost HAS = HA) (pizzazz = ZING) = HAZING
- 25D) Something exciting can also be downer (6)
can also be DOWNER = WONDER
- 27D) Lanai decorated for a swinger's need, possibly (5)
LANAI decorated = LIANA
In our margin notes we wrote ANAL I.
- 5D) Milk's an odd choice for white lovers (7)
MILKS AN odd = KLANSMAN