We're back, Dear Readers! Back and better than ever! Travel to Europe with Sweet Vlad was incredible. Some photos on the Tweeter.
And THANK YOU to all those in the past month who responded to our Call and reached out, commented, emailed, passed along dollar support, kai, ta, loipa. We felt the love. Love is bond.
Din't e'en ha' ti' to check answers this month nor check our logic so this post is likely RIFE with errors and a reminder that this is a SAFE SPACE for correcting logic. Also: sincere question for the comments: how many people, would you estimate, participate in the monthly Harper's cryptic contest? Hard to know, right???????
The ThemeWe've seen this bad boy before. Unclued six, seven, and twelve letter answers. A couple handfuls with clue numbers. Straightforward fun.
- 9D) Mail boxes I put out (5)
(Mail boxes = POST) + I = POSIT
- 6g/5A) I'm right in front—entralled by quiet, soft, tiny thing
(IM * rev = MI) + (quiet = SH) + (right = R) = SHRIMP
- 24A) Reactionary, unmoved, shows a bit of kindness at heart? Unreal! (5)
((unmoved = DEAF) * rev.) = FAED) + (bit of kindness = K) = FAKED
- 7D) Entering one by one, managed to become an extra in Argo (5)
(one by one = I I) + (managed = RAN) = IRANI
- 1A) Notice something that grips counsel (6)
(Notice = AD) + (something that grips = VISE) = ADVISE
- 6a/31A) The least ordinary poems about death initially take a little time
(poems = ODES) + (death = D) + (time = T) = ODDEST
- 6h/17A) Gets into office, lets CEO endlessly become agitated
(CEO * endlessly = CE) + LETS = ELECTS
- 6j/21D)Breaking rules, tenor gets fruit
(RULES + (tenor = T)) * anagram = RESULT
- 7b/8D) A coward gets the most out of work
(gets the most out of = MILKS) + (work = OP) = MILKSOP
- 7c/1D) Medusa's masks put on
MEDUSAS * anagram = ASSUMED
- 7g/10A) Disease you can get from the beach? Quite the opposite!
DISEASE * anagram = SEASIDE
The twelves were spectacular, and much anagrammious:
- 12a/23A) Screwing up as tenderfeet, use the bay to get rid of something
AS TENDERFEET * anagram = DEFENESTRATE
- 12b/4D) Is one's mutual interaction coincidental?
IS ONES MUTUAL * amagram = SIMULTANEOUS
- 12d/16A) In perversion of altruism, get left imprisoned—it makes Man of steel lead copper, perhaps
(ALTRUISM GET + (left = L)) * anagram = METALLURGIST
- 12d/6D) After buildup, king takes care of overreaches
(buildup = HYPE) + (king = REX) + (takes care = TENDS) = HYPEREXTENDS
- 11A) I got in with buddy in the 'hood for life (4)
I + (buddy in the 'hood = BRO) = BRIO
- 2D) Provide man cave with a fork? Say you didn't do that (4)
(man cave = DEN) + (fork = T) = DENT
“Did yeh do dat?”Cuz ... No.
“I dent, mama! I dent do dat!”
Per Brother Steve below, woops it's DENY. “fork” = Y. Yah. More sense makes.
WE SAW WHAT WE WANTED TO SEE
- 26D) Jumbos or squirts (4)
JETS (double syn.)
- 6f/25A) Repeatedly, drops in first indications of rain easily show eventual excessive saturation
rain easily show eventual excessive saturation = RESEES
- 6i/14D) He prevents a pass. Can the Queen?
(Can = SACK) + (the Queen = ER) = SACKER
ER or Er may refer to:We always forget and think that “Regina” is her middle name but nah. It's for Lady Rex. Always gonna feel snooty about these -ER words. Restrict the -ER words to the Scrabble game, where they belong! Keep them out da puzzle!
[...] Elizabeth Regina, the Latin form of Queen Elizabeth II
sidenote: a couple years ago for our grandmother's birthday, our aunt wanted us to Photoshop grandma's face onto a banner-sized image of Queen Elizabeth II. Which was strange because 1) grandma is French-Canadian and 2) also not particularly interested in Queen Elizabeth. But our aunt was like, determined. Which then got sidetracked into explaining why a 200x200 jpg was not of adequate resolution to support a 6'x6' banner. And ultimately we avoided having to do it at all. But only narrowly.
This aunt also visits a psychic on a regular basis, and a couple years ago she texted me
ERICA, i visited my medium and he wants to know that there are people on the other side who are watching youwhich was pretty cool. And still is. Just to be able to jack into that kind of certainty in things working out, and love and support unseen but still there. What we're saying is: we love our aunt. We're still glad we didn't have to participate in this QE2 Photoshop project.
they want you to know you WILL reach your goal! he named you SPECIFICALLY
- 6l/15D) People encouraging a heartbreaking novelist?
EGGERS (double syn.)
If you agree that this blog is Egger-ific, please never say.
“What is the What” is supposed to be good though. So.
The Tacky!Two this month, making up for the zero last month:
- e/14A) Woman burned up about her husband's death? Tut! Sadly, look around (6)
(TUT + (look around = SEE)) * anagram = SUTTEE
*“cool” used here is not, itself, meant to be a temperature-related pun, further escalation.
Suttee turned out ok for Daenerys. Not for a lot of ladies, tho. Violent murderous misogyny. Some real woman-hating bullshit.
- 23D) After the princess got offed, did it to me, too! (5)
((princess = DI) removed from DID = DI) + (T) + TO = DITTO
Also weird double DIs. Right? Super weird!
Nice congruency with the earlier QE2 reference, tho.